One day workshop for teachers on how to use social media in class
- After attending this workshop teachers should be able to use resources found online when planning lessons with students. They should know how to introduce blogging and Twitter in class, and how to make a blog and twitter account. Participants will explore alternative ways for students to present in class and see how OneNote on Skydrive can be used as a way to save web pages, essays, projects, grammar and instructions for use during tests, project work and exams. Participants will spend time finding educators and students to connect with on Skype. Before the end we will look at how to tie curriculum goals to rubrics and talk about how to make sure the students are working with content at all times! The key point is avoiding the danger of distraction. If you have questions or concerns during this workshop, please post here!
Pre study activities:
- Blogging in class, why, answers to some questions you might have
- Twitter with students. Twitter as part of your PD, Using visible tweets with students, and as a learning tool. Example of use of Twitter: Grey’s anatomy my OR!
- Speaker Radio, how to introduce this in class, on air in 60 seconds.
- One Note, what is it, how do we use it and what is Skydrive?
- Skype in the classroom, how can I find teachers, projects and collections?
- The world of infotention - how to stay focused on what is important. Keeping students engaged in a 1:1 project based classroom. Teachers need rules too!
- Start off by setting up your own blog. Start with Blogger.com, Easy tutorial found here.
- Create a Twitter account, find out how here. In workshop find 5 educators to follow.
- Speaker radio – create a Live internet Radio Show Free. Talk about the workshop and what you would like to use in class!
- One Note, getting started, sharing online and setting up skydrive (Norwegian part 1, part 2, part 3)
- Skype in the classroom, try to contact educators on Skype education to connect with.
- Brainstorming to make rules on how to stay focused when working in class, post here!
To use in class:
- Writing better blogposts, how to write a great blog comment.
- Twitter in class. Some ways to improve your test scores! Twitter in the classroom, Twitter in education.
- Speaker Radio – get going and make a show! Find info here. Magazine and radio, tasks here.
- One Note used in a high school, how can the students make a notebook they share with class?
- See here how teachers connect, how could you find students to connect with? Use a topic from class and make it an international project.
- Use Wallwisher to brainstorm rules on how to use the computer in class
- Rubric for blogging
- Rubric for Twitter
- Rubric for oral presentation, with storyboard.
- Rubric for note taking
- Rubric for collaborating
- Rubric for staying on task, contributing knowledge, performed all duties and shard skills.
Look at links on this page (or on the web) you think you could use in class in the categories listed below. Copy- paste the link in this document:
- Searching images
- Publishing online
- Learning languages
- Comparing living conditions in different countries
- Finding class blogs online