- Introduce the play to the class using this lesson plan. Do the pre – reading stage. Read Hamlet’s soliloquy, you find the full text of the play here. If you need you will find a simpler version here. Hamlet
- Do worksheet A and B and discuss with class – talk about what you find in this Simpsons’ interpretation of Hamlet what is similar and what is different from the original ! A new look at Hamlet. You can also have a look at the Cartoon Hamlet it is an easy way to talk about the play!
After reading play – (you might only read one act)
- Here is a quiz for the class to work on. Lots of questions! hamlet-quiz
- Look at this google map. Where is this? Who lived here?
- Watch this summary of the play from BBC and answer some questions while watching.
- Do the plot test here. And for more video, tests and revisions look here.
- Study the picture (Image here) Ophelia by Sir John Everet Millais
Watch this revision by SparkNotes to remember main facts
Extra activities and places to visit if time:
- Interact with the characters and read their tweets.
- Kenneth Brannagh about the play and his movie.
- Hamlet meets his father.
- Mel Gibson Hamlet act3, scene 1.
- Appetizer; imagine being hamlet.
- Look at these clips “Ophelia’s madness“, Ophelia drowning, Ophelia’s sad destiny
- Look at video from youtube. Hamlet Act3, Scene1 Soliloquy.
- Gravedigger set.